How to Fix Instagram “Your Account Has Been Temporarily Locked”
If you’re seeing a message that says “Your Account Has Been Temporarily Locked” on Instagram, here’s how to fix it.
If you’ve ever tried adding a lot of people in one day on Instagram, you may have faced the “Your Account Has Been Temporarily Locked” screen. Don’t stress out too much; there are several reasons why this might have happened, and fixing it is easy. Here’s how to fix the Instagram “Your Account Has Been Temporarily Locked” error.
Fixing Instagram “Your Account Has Been Temporarily Locked”
Why Was My Instagram Account Temporarily Locked?
There are various reasons why your Instagram was locked, but put simply, Instagram and Meta are trying to crack down on bot activity. Performing one action too many times in a row might trigger some of these built-in precautions they’ve put into place.
See below for the most common reasons your Instagram account was locked.
- Following or unfollowing too many users too quickly.
- Commenting on posts too quickly.
- Liking and unliking too many posts too quickly.
- Using 3rd party apps.
- Using the same comment several times across posts.
If you don’t do these things and follow the terms of service, you should avoid getting your Instagram locked in the future.
Unlocking Your Instagram Account
If you’ve been locked out of your Instagram account, you should receive a notification when you try to log in. Follow the on-screen prompts to restore your account.
Here’s how to unlock your Instagram account:
- Log into your Instagram Account.
- Hit the Continue button.
- Send a security code to your email address or phone.
- Enter your code and hit the Submit button.
If you’ve lost access to the phone or email and can’t authorize the activity on your account, follow this guide to try to restore your Instagram account.
How Long is Instagram Temporarily Locked?
Typically, a lock on your Instagram account will only occur over a 24-48 hour period. If your account is not unlocked, it could be restored as soon as one day.
What if my Instagram Account is Deactivated?
A deactivated account is more complicated to restore than when your Instagram account has been temporarily locked. The worst-case scenario in a temporary lock is that eventually, your profile will be re-instated by Instagram.
If your account has been completely deactivated, visit this link and put in a request to Instagram to get it restored.
To avoid having your Instagram account deactivated, follow these Instagram community guidelines:
- Share only photos and videos that you’ve taken or have the right to share.
- Post photos and videos that are appropriate for a diverse audience.
- Foster meaningful and genuine interactions.
- Follow the law.
- Respect other members of the Instagram community.
- Maintain Instagram’s supportive environment by not glorifying self-injury.
- Be thoughtful when posting newsworthy events.
Have more issues with IG? Head over to our Instagram Section for more guides.